Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sometimes the Book is Just Better Than the Movie

The new Harry Potter movie looks great. It looks like the directors decided to tell the story properly. A while ago I was talking to a friend who is in film studies, and we started talking about the Harry Potter movies and he said that he liked the third movie, Prisoner of Azkaban, the best of the movies (he obviously hasn't seen the sixth one), and I said that was my least favorite. I couldn't stand it for many reasons mostly because the knight bus wasn't as cool as I thought it would be (most people that I talk to about the series like this scene in the books); Professor Lupin was a disappointing werewolf, I totally could have taken him on he was so scraggly (after watching Van Helsing I know they can do better); and most importantly they screwed up the story. The director, Alfonso Cuaron who directed a Little Princess (which I love), focused more on visual effects than the story. To me telling the story is the most important part, and he blew it blew it by leaving out a lot of the "magical" story-points, so by the end it didn't make sense. Although, I have heard from many people who have not read the books, but are filmy people, like Cuaron's movie the best of all the Harry Potter films.

I like to re-read the Harry Potter books before I see the movies as a refresher. I've read the books so many times that each year blurs together (which they should). The Half-Blood Prince is a good one. It's all about Voldemort's past, and the beginning of the final battle. There is a lot going on in Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts that he doesn't quite make it back to his seventh year. Don't worry friends, J.K. Rowling promises seven years and we get it. Here is a new preview to the movie coming out July 17!

No comments:

Post a Comment