Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Jane Austen Curse, or Hitting a "Reader's Block"


Have you ever hit a wall in a book? You're reading along and everything is fine, and then BAM! You hit a wall, or a "reader's block" if you will. I don't know how it comes about, but it happens, and it happens to me a lot.

I am currently reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Usually I try to read the book, and then see the movie, but not so with Jane. Her books are well written, but I have a really tough time getting through them. The movie actually helps move the story line along, and I envision Colonel Brandon as Alan Rickman (Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series), the only problem I can see with this image is that Colonel Brandon is actually in his thirties, while Rickman is not (and was not during the filming of the movie). With that aside a side (hahaha) I am stuck, and having a hard time getting back into the novel.

How does this happen? Is there a cure? I am afraid that the book will end up being another started and not finished project. The only Jane Austen book that I have started and finished was Northanger Abbey, a short and sweet book. I have started Emma, Persuasion, and Pride and Prejudice.

There have been plenty of books that I have left unfinished, like another "current" book Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl, a childhood favorite.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog.. Keep up the good work.. Will drop by your site often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care mate.. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I do is I read a few books at the same time. That way when I hit that reading block, I just switch books. I'm up to four books at a time (lol), but it only takes two. :)

    ReplyDelete